Doosan Portable Power has more than 100 years of manufacturing expertise and application experience focused on providing the highest quality machines with unrivaled customer service. The product line includes mobile generators, compressors, lighting systems and light compaction equipment.
In 2007, Doosan Infracore acquired the Ingersoll Rand Utility Equipment business, Bobcat and Attachments. From that acquisition, Doosan Infracore Portable Power came into existence.
Doosan Portable Power has more than 100 years of manufacturing expertise and application experience focused on providing the highest quality machines with unrivaled customer service.
At the turn of the century, stationary air compressors were physically large and heavy requiring bulky-solid foundations. The Rand Drill Company in Painted Post, NY built the first portable in 1902 by mounting a water-cooled stationary compressor on wheels.
The Ingersoll-Sargeant Drill Co. (Easton, PA, Phillipsburg, NJ) merged with the Rand Drill Co. (Painted Post, NY; Sherbrooke, Quebec; Athens, PA; Tarrytown, NY) to form the Ingersoll Rand Co.
Type-12 portables were built; single-staged, water-cooled, driven by steam engines.
A special Tie Tamper compressor was developed for railway service. It consisted of one two-stroke-cycle gasoline engine power cylinder and one Type-12 air cylinder with a common crankshaft.
Type-14 portables were built. This was the first compact portable. A large number were used in World War I.
A more complete line of portables (Type 20) was developed with vertical single-acting duplex water-cooled compressor cylinders direct connected or geared to four cylinder, four-cycle tractor-type gasoline engines. These were very popular through the 20's and several units are still operating today.
Ingersoll Rand introduced the first high pressure portable, the “XL” rated at 330 cfm/300 psig or 270 cfm at 500 psig. Engine was a Waukesha gasoline engine or an IR oil (spark ignited diesel fuel) engine. Compressor was the XOB horizontal, water-cooled, two cylinder, two-stage, double-acting type.
Ingersoll Rand introduced the Type-40 portable, which was the first “V” type air-cooled two-stage portable. At this time, we started rating portables on air delivery rather than on piston displacement. Speed was about 900 rpm.
The “A” line was announced. This was a streamlined, sturdy, compact Type-40 compressor.
Ingersoll Rand introduced the first practical 500 cfm portable with multispeed regulation.
Ingersoll Rand introduced a complete new “K” series mobile air Type-40 air-cooled compressor. During World War ll, the government standardized on K-315 portables.
Ingersoll Rand introduced the KA series which was an improvement over the K series with improved simplified regulation.
Ingersoll Rand revolutionized the portable compressor business by introducing the Gyro-Flo two-stage rotary slide vane DR-600 powered by a General Motors 6 cylinder diesel engine. This was the first successful application of rotary compressors for portable use. The R-600 was followed by the R-105, R-210, and R-315 series. The KA line of portables was discontinued as each rotary series became available.
Ingersoll Rand added to the Gyro-Flo line, the GR-85 single-stage rotary, which was the first single stage rotary portable developed. We also introduced a rotary R-900 in 1956.
Ingersoll Rand introduced the R-250 and R-365 which became the industry standard series and discontinued the R-210 and R-315. We also redesigned the R-125 and introduced the RA-125. At this time, the R-125 was discontinued.
This was another important year in Ingersoll Rand portable history. Ingersoll Rand introduced the Spiro-Flo DL-1200. This was the first single engine driven 1200 cfm portable in the world; and the first twin screw portable compressor on the market. Gardner-Denver introduced their Roto-Screw compressor two days later. In 1961 Ingersoll Rand also introduced the RS-85 and RS-125 power take-off compressors.
On October 15th, Ingersoll Rand announced the new DL-900 twin-screw portable compressor and discontinued the DR900. This was another step in the portable division's efforts to maintain Ingersoll Rand as the leader in the portable compressor business. Ingersoll Rand has met the problem of customer demands for large capacity portable compressors by continually designing and developing lighter weight complete portable packages throughout the years.
The DL-600 twin-screw portable was added to the equipment line. It utilized a 175mm size airend and complimented the DL-1200 and DL-900.
Ingersoll Rand introduced the first truly quiet portable air compressor. This unit was a DL900S, delivering 900 cfm at 100 psi. This unit was primarily designed for the quiet noise requirements of New York City and other eastern metropolitan areas.
Ingersoll Rand introduced the DXL-750 powered by GM 6V-71 which quickly established itself as the dominant large portable for Rock Drill Crawlair applications. They were very popular for interstate highway construction. The XL models later ranged from 600 to 1400 cfm. Ingersoll Rand developed and produced 112 RMS250 Military Units for TACOM; units were used extensively in Vietnam. Ingersoll Rand introduced the RR-85 and RR-160 featuring repeatable end plates and slot-bottom porting for improved efficiency. These cost effective products were directed toward the rental market.
Ingersoll Rand introduced the world's largest compressor, a model D2000, capable of delivering 2000 cfm at 150 psi and powered by a General Motors 16V71 Detroit Diesel engine. The same design also incorporated a 1750 cfm at 125 psi unit powered by General Motors 12V71 Detroit Diesel engine. Ingersoll Rand expanded the Whisperized line to include 1200 cfm.
Ingersoll Rand introduced a new line of small units in one package called the “Unipac”. It featured lR's first 175 cfm oil flooded screw along with 150 cfm two-stage vane and 125 cfm single-stage vane powered by a variety of diesel and gasoline engines. This unit established the principle of multiple-mode common packages.
Ingersoll Rand introduced the first high pressure two-stage oil flooded screw portable 750 cfm at 250 psi in a DXL package which was followed by a Whisperized package in 1974.
Ingersoll Rand introduced the D160SL Super Silenced Model (below 70dBA at 1 meter) on a limited production, pushing noise levels to the quietest portable ever manufactured.
Ingersoll Rand manufactured a 5000 cfm portable compressor for use with the mine rescue team in South Africa. This unit was a Whisperized design rated at 85 dBA at one meter in accordance with CAGI Pneurop test standards. The unit rating was 5000 cfm at 100 psi.
Ingersoll Rand introduced the first of a family of skid mounted oil field packaged air compressors. The units could either be single module or double module units. Each module was capable of 1150 cfm at 250 psi or 750 cfm at 400 psi, depending on the pressure setting of the unit. Ingersoll Rand introduced the P425GM & P600GM midsize packages to meet EPA Noise Level. The R365 was removed.
Ingersoll Rand introduced a totally new line of two-wheel portable air compressors. These units were all of screw-type airend construction and Whisperized to meet U.S.A. EPA noise levels of 75 dBA at seven meters. Sizes introduced were 100 cfm, 175 cfm, 300 cfm, and 335 cfm, all at 100 psi.
Ingersoll Rand introduced the larger versions of the Whisperized EPA units. These units ranged from 525 cfm to 1600 cfm with various pressure ratings, depending on the engine and package design.
Ingersoll Rand introduced the P250WD utilizing the Deutz engine. Size and fuel economy were superior to any competitive products. Unique “utility” compressors in 100-175 cfm were developed, designed for truck mounting rather than “less running gear” portables used by the industry.
Ingersoll Rand introduced 2 new models; P100AWD and P375WD units powered by Deutz engines. Units were built using state of the art design features. Second generation oil field units were developed incorporating the new “HR” (High Reliability) line of airends; significantly more rugged product than its predecessor.
Ingersoll Rand introduced 3 new models; the P750, XP825 and P900. These models, powered by Cummins engines, were incorporated in a “Fast Track” design with most components interchangeable. Units can be towed by much smaller vehicles than previous models. This was the first product totally designed on the CAD system.
We received U.S. Army approval to produce a P250 mounted on a military trailer. The contract eventually resulted in 1,807 units being produced.
Second generation “utility” units were introduced with superior features to benefit the customer: 34” width, central removal drains, improved sliding doors and operator controls convenient for truck mounting.
A new line of products was introduced with the release of 20, 30 and 50 KW Gensets powered by John Deere and Cummins engines and using Kohler generators. Customer benefits and features were far superior to competition.
The P1600WCU, a smaller and lighter unit than released in 1978, was the first of a series of products introduced in the 300-400 HP package. U.S. Air Force approval was given to produce the MC-2A (15 cfm/200 psi) compressor for flightline use. With exercise of option, contract was for 2260 units.
Ingersoll Rand introduced the XHP900WCAT. This unit, utilizing the CAT 3406 engine, was Ingersoll Rand's first truly portable 350 psi machine.
The 300-400 HP package expanded to include 1000, 1200 and 1300 cfm models. The 375 Deutz family expanded to include 400 and 425 cfm models. The AF1600 Aftercooler was introduced. The second generation Gensets were introduced; resulting in a much quieter operating unit. The 100 and 125 cfm units in the new “Prestige” family were released. This was highlighted by the first use of an 85mm screw airend.
The “Prestige” family expanded to include 130 thru 185 cfm models incorporating the 85mm airend, and a new 250 cfm unit driven by a John Deere diesel engine. A new line of product was introduced with the release of the L6 and L8 Light Towers. The Generator line was expanded with the introduction of units covering the 2500 thru 6000 watt range.
A new midrange family of compressors (300 cfm thru 600 cfm), utilizing the Cummins 5.9 liter engine, was introduced. The NXP1300WCU was developed and introduced into the portable “oil-free” market.
The HP825 and XP900 were added to the existing line of fastracks. These units can be offered with “on board” aftercooler and water separator. A 185 cfm unit was added to the utility family. The small generator line was expanded with the addition of a 4000 and 6000 watt unit utilizing the Wisconsin Robin engine. Ingersoll Rand introduced a line of abrasive blasting equipment. This line included a DC24 (Dust Collector); AC10 (Classifier); and a range of Air dryers. All gasoline engine driven compressors were discontinued.
The Portable Compressor Division became ISO 9001 certified. The Fastrack units were down-sized and a John Deere version was added to the product line.
The DC40 dust collector was added to the abrasive blasting line. We began building a Deutz powered 185 cfm unit.
The 300-400 HP packages were offered with new high-speed running gear. A skid mounted 1250/350 CAT powered drilling package was added to the product line. A 250 cfm Cummins powered and 375 cfm John Deere powered unit were introduced.
The “Platinum” family – a total redesign of our P100 through P185 – was introduced. The L5 light tower was added to the product line. Natural gas powered skid mounted packages began to be offered. The utility line of compressors was redesigned to incorporate the 85mm airend.
The existing Cummins powered Fast Track line added 3 additional models while a new CAT powered Fast Track line was introduced. A new XHP1070 was introduced. This unit expanded the existing high pressure line to 1070 cfm at 350 psi and utilized the new HR2.5 airend. I.Q.(instrument quality) options were offered for the first time on units ranging from 300 to 1300 cfm. A 4.5KW generator option was offered on the P185 unit.
Lightsource light towers entered the market. The aftermarket group introduced Pro Tec™ and XHP505 airend lubricants.
The new P250, enclosed in a P185 “box”, was introduced. The generator line was expanded to include models ranging from 38kva to 165kva. A new P185 and P250 were introduced to the market, powered by an IR engine.
Ingersoll Rand introduced an entirely new line-up of generators. The small line ranged from G3.5 through G11, while the larger offering went from G20 through G575. A full line of compressor modules (HP185 through XHP1070) was introduced to the market. Our large units expanded to 1170 cfm at 350 psi, while the new IR engine was incorporated into units up through 425 cfm. A new oil free unit, NHP1500, was introduced.
Ingersoll Rand Portable Power division changed its name to Utility Equipment to better reflect the product portfolio offered. This expanded product portfolio includes mortar mixers, concrete mixers, concrete saws, concrete vibrators, and tractor loader backhoes. New compressor lubricants were introduced, XHP405 and XHP605, for high pressure applications.
The mobile generator line was redesigned from the G11 through the G600 to include an environmentally friendly containment enclosure. Two models of mid-sized Wheel Loaders and Excavators were introduced.
Ingersoll Rand changed the names of the four sectors that make up the corporation. The Infrastructure Sector became Construction Technologies to include the Utility Equipment and Road Development business units. Construction Technologies moved the aftermarket logistics warehousing function into one location in Chicago. This warehouse houses the aftermarket inventory for Utility Equipment, Road Development, and Bobcat. Ingersoll Rand changed the international order-processing platform to Oracle. Utility Equipment took over the customer support for the variable reach forklifts and vertical mast forklifts.
The Ingersoll Rand line of mobile generators undergoes a design change and is marketed under “PowerSource”. The “AirSource” line of portable compressors is also introduced.
The Ingersoll Rand Utility Equipment business is aquired by Doosan Infracore and the Doosan Portable Power business group is formed.
On May 19th, 2008 the very first machine built in the new Statesville facility rolled off the line. The machine was an Ingersoll Rand LightSource. Additionally in 2008, Doosan Infracore Portable Power launched the first light tower/generator combination unit, the L20.
Beginning in early 2009, the Attachments team moved from their location in Charlotte, NC to the Statesville facility.
Doosan Infracore International and Doosan Infracore America Corp become ONE DOOSAN under the new name Doosan Infracore Construction Equipment in January. Doosan Portable Power launches the newly redesigned P185 and C185 air compressors.
Globally launched 12 new product platforms with a focus on innovation and emissions compliance. Doosan Portable Power was the first to market Tier 4 large air compressors and large generators.